You have just purchased a new air conditioner from us and with it came a FREE programmable digital thermostat. You are destined to save both energy and money, right? Yes, but only if you know how to use your programmable thermostat. This is exciting stuff in the Lundberg house so, follow this quick and simple guide and become a pro at how to use your programmable thermostat.
Programmable thermostats may be small but they are mighty. Believe it or not, this piece of technology is a vital portion to your HVAC unit’s efficiency. When used correctly, it has been estimated by Energy Star that it will save you approximately $180 every year in energy costs and with HVAC units built to last 10-15 years that is $1800-$2700 lifetime savings (energystar.gov.)
Operator Efficiency: I think I have mentioned in earlier blogs that operator efficiency is the key to programmable thermostat efficiency. There are 3 different models that are flexible to fit your home schedule and help you resist the urge to “touch” or “override” the programmed set points.
- 7-day model: Allows you to set the desired temperature for different times of the day depending on your schedule.
- 5+2 model: Monday-Friday can be programmed differently than Saturday-Sunday.
- 5+1+1 model: Monday-Friday are programmed the same and Saturday and Sunday programmed independently of one another.
Designate: Designate an operator and a temperature and stick to it.
- When you are not home for long periods of time, work, school or even vacation, program the thermostat 1-8 degrees warmer than where you would if you were home.
- Program the temperature for the days and times when you are home to where you are comfortable. Avoid cuddling under blankets to stay warm and putting ice packs on your head to cool down. Obviously, this temperature is different for everyone, just stick to your temperature. Maintaining the program settings within whichever model you choose and not overriding them is where the energy and money savings occur.
At Blue Heating and Cooling, we offer several brands of programmable thermostats and are available before, during and after installation to answer questions and help you understand how to use your programmable thermostat to its most efficient self. Remember, we pride ourselves on timely service and have a 90% same day response rating with 100% customer satisfaction.