4 Signs it’s time to replace your furnace

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today. – Abraham Lincoln

Being a homeowner can be a rewarding experience. It opens up the door for new opportunities and brings along new responsibilities. When it comes to maintenance and upkeep, I have found that being proactive will save you money and minimize hardship in the long run. One of the biggest concerns for any homeowner is their HVAC or heating and air conditioning system and finding the right time to replace it. Don’t procrastinate when it comes to making this decision. You could save yourself thousands of dollars by dealing with the problem sooner rather than later. Here are “4 signs it’s time to replace your furnace” to help you make that decision.

  1. Age of your unit –The best place to start with making this decision is to check the age of your heating system. The average life expectancy of a furnace is between 15 and 20 years. The older units typically have an annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) of 56%-70%, meaning it does not convert the energy in its fuel to heat very efficiently. Consider a high-efficiency furnace with an AFUE of 90%-98.5%. This kind of efficiency means 90% of the energy in the fuel becomes heat for the home and the other 10% escapes up the chimney or elsewhere. Unfortunately, the AFUE does not account for the heat losses of your duct system or piping, which can be as much as 35% of the energy output of the furnace, depending on where the ducts are located. Bottom line, find out what you have so you can make an informed decision on replacing your unit.
  2. Increase in energy bills- If your furnace happens to be an older model with a low AFUE, you have probably noticed a steady increase in your utility bills. This naturally occurs with age and if the heating unit was not properly maintained. The less efficient your furnace is, the longer it needs to run to maintain the same amount of heat. This will cause your gas and electric bills to steadily increase.
    Increase in furnace repairs – Have you spent a lot of money on your furnace in the past few months or years? As they age, they require frequent repairs and costlier repairs as the replacement parts get harder and harder to find. It doesn’t take long before those expenses add up. Furnaces tend to incur the most breakdowns in the last two years of their lives, so if your repair man has a house key, it’s probably time to start shopping for a new furnace.
  3. Strange noises from your furnace – Old furnaces often start to make strange noises as they approach the end of their life. The banging, popping, knocking, squealing, scraping or rattling noises could be bad bearings, a cracked or damaged belt, dirty burners, a defective gas valve or worse… the last few signs of life left in your unit. Don’t procrastinate when it comes to your furnace. If your heating unit is old and inefficient, you need to have these sounds checked out by a professional.
  4. Keep in mind that one of these factors by itself may not cause you to replace your furnace; however, two or more of them combined may be enough proof that it’s time to replace your aging furnace.

We would love to be able to help you make an informed decision when it comes to picking out the right HVAC or heating system for your home or business. We offer FREE consultation and estimates as well as emergency repair calls at all hours of the day or night, 7 days a week. Give us a call! 816-719-1099.